View Single Post
Old 05-02-08, 09:35 AM
Kurt Erlenbach

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TruF
Wow. What an amazing story. Congratulations to all involved. Wonder why K-Mart fought so hard? Seems a bone-head move.
It's a bonehad move if they lose. If they succeed in getting the plaintiffs to go away, they win and you never read about it anywhere, and it saves them money.

If you want a reason to dislike lawyers, the behavior of the Kmart lawyers provides a good reason. People complain about personal injury lawyers advertising on TV - the real Dark Side of the legal profession is the corporate lawyers who suck huge amounts of money from their clients solely to obstruct justice. Lawyers like that are the ones who give good lawyers a bad name. Lawyering like those folks did (which is only done at the direction of the corporation) is a good explanation why Kmart went bankrupt.

The ADA is one of the greatest pieces of civil right legislation ever. My only personal brush with it came when I had an ostomy as a result of my colon cancer surgery. ADA-compliant bathrooms are a godsend. The ADA is not hard to comply with in new construction; retrofitting old buildings is expensive.

D-Fox - you have good reason to be proud