Old 05-02-08, 08:08 PM
robo

Bikes: 1990 Burley Bossa Nova, 1992 Paramount PDG-70, 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Pro, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Are Eggbeater pedals harder to clip into by nature?

I'm posting this here because it's a mechanical question, really, and I'm not sure where else to put it.

For years I used the original M737 SPDs on my mountain bike, for both on and off road riding. They were excellent. Very reliable, and easy to clip into.

About two years ago, they were just falling apart, and I bought a pair of Cr-Mo Eggbeaters. I loved the simplicity of the Eggbeater design, and was told that they worked great.

But they don't, at least for me. They are just hard to clip into. I find myself hunting around, and have crashed on the trail due to not being able to get clipped in before a steep drop, and have struggled at traffic lights in the city trying to get clipped in and moving before the cars take over (i use them on both my MTB and commuter/touring bike).

Anyway, is this just a tradeoff for the extremely simple and mud shedding design, or would the more expensive stainless steel eggbeaters be better?

I'm close to going back to Shimano, but the new Shimano pedals look a lot different from the old ones and I'm wondering if they will be as good in terms of super smooth engagement with the cleat...

thanks,

robo