View Single Post
Old 05-03-08, 10:37 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrestlefox
What I mean by pulling off and reloading is that I would not have to carry as much stuff if I ride on the interstate because if need be, I could just pull off on the next exit and pull into a gas station and restock on items that I need. That would be the brilliance in traveling on the interstate, if anything were to happen then it would only be a small walk to a gas station. The main problem I'm having right now is finding out where to sleep. I can't sleep in the emergency lane. It's illegal. Don't want to sleep in a hotel, too expensive. Any ideas?

Yes, it would be dangerous. Yet, how awesome is it to be riding along and always have a breeze to cool you down, eh? I was even thinking about putting a cardboard sign on the back of the bike or trailer saying "Honk 4 God"

Wow, that was my original plan. I was just informed that it is illegal to ride on interstates. So, to file 13 with that idea. Valygrl said something about adventure cycling. I'm going to check that out. Still looking for a place to sleep though. Do you think it would be ok if I just stopped at random people's houses and asked to sleep in their yard? lol. But seriously?
One reason to buy Adventure Cycling's maps is that they are planned with camping in mind. Their routes always have campsites at reasonable intervals, though some of them are in private campgrounds (set up for RV's and pricey), city parks, fairgrounds, etc.

Lots of people talk about "stealth camping". To me, the word stealth implies that you are camping where you shouldn't and have to be stealthy to avoid getting caught. I don't like that. I did it a few times when I was young, foolish, and poor enough that it was a big deal to avoid paying camping fees. I always felt uncomfortable and guilty, and I got caught a few times and rousted out. That wasn't fun. I don't do that anymore.

In national forests you can pretty much always camp wherever you want, so I do that sometimes. You avoid paying fees and avoid loud neighbors with bratty kids or generators. You miss having running water, toilets, and a picnic table.

California and Oregon have hiker/biker sites where you camp cheaply. In Oregon you don't need a reservation and they won't turn you away. In Washington they have "primitive sites" that are quiet and well-suited to bikes, but you still pay full price (which I think is stupid!)

I put some money into my tour budget for occasional motels. I usually only stay in one when there are no suitable campgrounds or when it's pouring down rain and I'm tired of it.

I've read about people stopping at churches and asking if they could camp on the grass out back, usually with good results. I've read about people stopping at fire stations and asking the same question with positive results. I've read about people asking at police stations and getting steered to someplace to camp.

I've read lots of accounts of bike tourists striking up conversations with locals in restaurants and bars, and ending up with an invitation to dinner and spend the night.

I wouldn't feel right about knocking on doors and asking for a place to camp, but I've read about bikers seeing people in their front yards, asking for a drink of water (even out of the hose), and ending up with an invitation to stay.