cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
Kurt, I think if they had only used a euro bb shell and a three piece crank, they would have sold better. When I converted mine the weight drop was substantial. It felt like 3-4 pounds difference. I'm also losing the stem shifters in favor of some barcons. That should drop another 1/4 pound, hehe. The funny thing is that they kind of shot themselves in the foot with EF construction, and then fillet brazing on the nicer models. The "Joe Blows" wouldn't see the difference in quality, and then pick the cheaper bike. Thank goodness they were at l;east somewhat popular so we can find them cheap now.,,,,BD
Are you sure? I doubt that even those who bought the Sports Tourer would be too concerned about the BB shell type used. Anyone halfway serious about riding would laugh their heads off at the built-in kickstand.

For that matter, remember that Schwinn did make a fillet-brazed machine with a proper BB shell - the Sports Tourer? That thing is 10 times harder to find then the Super Sport, and if I am not mistaken, was sans-kickstand. I don't know about you, but I'd say that it is a reasonable indicator that folks couldn't tell the difference between these two either - and bought the SS instead. Any halfway serious folk would likely still balk at the two braze-on cable stops on the downtube preventing the mounting of clamp-on D/T shifters.

Heck, most folks probably couldn't tell the "Super Sport" and "Sports Tourer" names apart at first glance - I confuse them occasionally as well.

I don't know, but if you ask me, Schwinn's marketing and product development department still hadn't shaken itself off the balloon tire or middleweight era, and were still trying to sell their bikes in such fashion.

-Kurt