View Single Post
Old 05-05-08, 07:27 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Sianelle
It's about shifting mental gears Mike so you're not in a hurry. I regularly ride heavyweight roadster bicycles over rural roads and the simple joy of taking your time on a solidly made low geared bicycle that rolls on 28inch wheels is something I never get tired of.
Most Americans are so busy "doing things" that they can't seem to grasp the concept of slowing down and taking life a slower pace. That one thing that cracks me up in the commuter forum on here, the constant quest for a faster commute, should I use straight bars or drop bars, which tires are the fastest...

I went for a ramble Saturday on my grocery getter (got lost on the way to the grocery store) went past a couple of the farms I buy my veggies from just to see what was available this early in the season (mostly strawberries) I stopped off and watched a couple brim (fish) in the creek making their nesting beds and one had just laid some eggs. Stopped and talked to a couple of people that I hadn't seen in a while. Rode a grand total of maybe 12 miles...and was gone for 5 hours (nice average mph there!) Yes a couple of chores didn't get done, but they weren't critical to my or anyone else's survival for the day. I have enough deadlines during the week, so I don't plan any on weekends.

Also FWIW the Danes and I believe the Dutch have a shorter mandated work week than we do, flex scheduling of that work and longer/more vacation time. So they aren't in as much of a hurry as Americans.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon