View Single Post
Old 05-05-08, 07:11 PM
Catweazle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I haven't been around here for the great debates or the pre-bannings shenanigans, so I'm not too concerned with what's been said before, done to death, or whatever else. I'm merely reading this thread, and seeing what I'd consider to be a nonsense.

Simple fact of the road? If two vehicles are travelling in the same direction and occupying the same lane there is nothing 'vehicularly' legitimate about the practice. It's dangerous driving, in anybody's definition. It is quite illogical to postulate some theorum of 'vehicular cycling' and then attempt to accomodate practice such as this within it. That's a nonsense. It's an exercise in saying "We've got this great idea, but it doesn't really work all the time so we won't really do it all the time!" Might as well jettison the grandiose espoused principles, methinks! Bugger being a hypocrite!

Bikes aren't cars. They're different. Bikes can travel in the traffic when it's safe and sensible to do so, and bikes can travel out of the traffic when it's safe and sensible to do so. If I drive my car down along the highway shoulder I'm gonna get arrested. Ride my bike down there and it's perfectly acceptable.

I've been reading this stuff for a while now, and can't get beyond the notion that the espousal of 'vehicular cycling is little more than word-******y which intrudes. An imaginary construct which distracts from safe and sensible riding practices by trying to restrictively categorise.

This post isn't intended as trollage or flamebait, by the way, although doubtless some people will choose to view it as such. It's simply an honest reflection on what I've read here. The concept of 'vehicular cycling' is well and good, to my way of thinking, and espouses fine (honourable?) principles. But it's merely one facet of cycling, and not a concept which can hope to be descriptive of an all-encompassing approach to cycling on the road network.

IMO.