View Single Post
Old 05-06-08, 06:16 AM
cerewa
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how do you like the motor? Does it work well for you? What do you have it mounted on?
For me, the cyclone 500W system has been a mixed bag. It worked really well when it worked, but it doesn't work now. It was fast on the downhills, fast on the flats, fast on the uphills. Something broke when I ran the motor for 10 miles with water filling the bottom inch or so of the motor, after having parked overnight under what turned out to be a leaky tarp.

So i replaced the motor+controller with one from cyclone-usa thinking that i would get quick service to be able to get right back on the road (which I didn't). And something's wrong with that one, although I think it may be that the rubber cement I used to plug the hole where the wires enter the motor caused a short. (The place where wires enter motor is the only place water can get in... and there's nowhere for water to drain out the bottom ). In any case the thing is behaving as though there's an intermittent short-circuit; sometimes it won't turn on, sometimes it will turn on, and a couple times when it was plugged in the motor would jerk forward a bit without the throttle being in use.

I have been, um, lazy about trying to fix the system because I got a job 4 miles from home, where the extra speed would be more dangerous than useful (very heavy traffic).