I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by closetbiker
The biggest reason why parents did not let their child cycle on the road was concern about safety - but only 3% knew someone who had been in an accident.
I wouldn't make much of this factoid; I doubt that even 3% of parents know someone who have set themselves on fire but probably 100% still won't let their children play with matches.

In 2006 there were 10 times more accidents involving cars than there were accidents involving bicycles.
What is the exposure time to car accidents vice bike accidents? Without that info this is only statistical gibberish.
Most parents said cycle training would make them feel more reassured about their child cycling without any adult supervision...
Chairman of Cycling England Phillip Darnton said: "This research underlines the important role of cycling training in giving children the skills and confidence they need to cycle on the roads - and in giving parents the reassurance that their child is well equipped to do so...
Cycling England runs bicycle training schemes and a new proficiency scheme known as Bikeability.

Mr Darnton is urging more schools to come forward and offer the training as part of the push to get more youngsters cycling.
Mr. Darnton sounds just like some of the U.S. proselytizers for Cyclist Training who just happen to have a specific propriatary Education Program/Scheme in their back pocket to promote. Amazing how such fellows always are spouting misleading safety stats as part of their shill.