View Single Post
Old 05-06-08, 08:12 PM
Blue Order

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dbakl
They're only functional for someone who keeps their derailler adjusted so it goes into the spokes.

On a properly set-up bike they have no use or purpose. They're usually a sign of a rider uninvolved with their machine. Kinda like adding streamers; no harm really, but you're still a dork.
Originally Posted by reverborama
And yet the story I always here is that the derailleur got bumped and the guy shifted into his spokes and ruined a wheel. After a rant like that, someone will probably find where Mr. Bikesnob parks and "adjust" his derailleur just a titch.

Me? I love 'em. The more garish the better. I wish I could figure out a way to put them on modern bikes -- big chrome jobs.
My thought was along those lines-- most people do not maintain their own bikes. While it might make some aesthetic sense for an attentive mechanic to remove the spoke protector, I think there's a very large class of people out there who would benefit from a spoke protector if their derailleur went out of adjustment without their knowledge. If that's true, I don't really see the point of looking down one's nose at people who aren't attentive mechanics but are riding their bikes. It's kind of...snobbish.