View Single Post
Old 05-07-08, 06:48 AM
dustyone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by piette
Personally I don't think you should give up the road bike, my dad died of a massive heart attack two years ago, yet everyday I go out and push my heart as hard as I can. I have had friends die in car accidents, drowning, and all sorts of ways, I am not giving those up because of it. It is entirely your choice, and you need to do what makes you happy.

That being said, why not get another FX bike? You don't need to put SPD pedals on it, you don't need to wear gear or anything else, you can set it up anyway you want. I have a FX 7.3 that I use when my kids and wife want to go for a ride, I just jump on and ride with whatever I am wearing. I have just basic flat pedals on it, and a decent stock seat and I can ride it for a good long comfortable while at any time I want without the hassle of changing clothes or even shoes. Mine does perfect on the road and on trails, although you know that already as you had one before.

Jeff
I'm leaning toward another FX type bike. I think as much as anything I've learned that my good, hard workouts are most of the time in the gym and I'd like to realize my bike time as outdoors/fitness/recreation...but still keep it fun. To make matters worse, I just purchased my wife a new roadie, with one ride on it now, and she shares my sentiment. She fully supports the bike path and gym plan as much as I do.
I am heavily involved in auto racing(no longer racing myself) and see the dangers every day. I've had good friends taken and I always understood the risks, as I do now. I'm not scared to ride the road...I have simply made the decision that riding a bike on a highway is a small percentage risk that I can no longer justify. I'll never bungee jump, sky dive, go on a deep sea fishing expedition or climb a mountain. These are all things that, in my mind, will never be worth the trade-off to that one in a bazillion "bad" odds.
BTW, I've spoken with a Jon Piette from Wisconsin...any relation?

Thanks again,
dk