View Single Post
Old 05-07-08, 08:39 AM
acupuncture Doc

Bikes: Specialized SIrrus with Impaling device on front, Giant Iguana with hyperspace & cloaking device

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speed and the 26" wheel

I am wondering if anyone has experienced this issue.

After 3 seasons on a bike that was improperly sized for me (and happened to have 700c wheels) I decided that after numerous wheel issues with both the stock and better wheels, that I would check out the 26" wheeled MTB world since so many in this forum have reported good results. I bought a 96 Giant Iguana and later found nearly the exact same bike in the dumpster. I restored it to its former glory and I ride them both now.

The only thins is that I miss the speed of a road bike. My rides seem to be harder work for a lower speed. I tried putting smooth 1.95" tires on one of the bikes with only nominal improvement.

My question is this:
Has anyone put 32-35 mm tires on and gotten close to some of the speeds that they got on a road bike? Are there higher pressure tires that will allow an MTB to close the speed gap a little?

BTW - I know MTBs are geared lower but that doesn't seem to be the issue here as I can get those speeds with the current gear set, I just can't do it easily or in a way that was as effortless on the 700c bike.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has dealt with this as well.

Thanks !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bike5.JPG (61.7 KB, 25 views)