Old 05-08-08, 08:48 AM
Ajenkins
Dogs like me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DonQuixote1954
First of all, you have to differentiate between cylists...

The lycra type prefers the freedom of the open road while the commuting type prefers the safety of bike lanes. So we must accomodate both, and you make very good points...

This is what I propose (if the budget is tight):

1- FOR THE LYCRA AND COMMUTING TYPE: 20mph speed limit on right lane of multi-lane roads... enforced by speed cameras.

2- FOR THE PUBLIC AT LARGE: building of bicycle infrastructure for leasure. This would introduce the public to biking.

I say "if the budget is tight" because if we had all the money that, say, goes into the Iraqi occupation, we could use the Dutch or Danish model.

I wouldn't worry though about getting the bicycle clubs to agree on something and influence the politicians. I would turn to "the people," and explain to them that they would be better off riding a bike. Then they can either vote for the right candidate --or join the revolution...

http://atom.smasher.org/streetparty/...olution%21&l4=
These are all pretty bad ideas. 20 mph speed limit, what are you nuts? I'm a commuter cyclist, and there's no way I want a speed limit like that, nor do I want bike lanes. The road is posted 45 and there are times when I can go the speed limit, why on earth should I create a greater danger by being limited to less than half of the prevailing speed?

All I need is educated, aware drivers, educated, aware cyclists, and a well-maintained road. Blue stripes give a false sense of security and will end up in greater, rather than fewer, injuries.