View Single Post
Old 05-11-08, 01:29 PM
mjohn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trying to get a road tandem....

I am trying to by a road tandem. After riding a rented Trek 1000 on a MS 150 ride with my wife, we are hooked. For the time being I picked up a Cdale MT800 that has been converted to more of a road bike. It’s a great bike, but it has 26 in wheels and geared a little low for us. It is perfect for parks and nature trails, but we really want more of a true road bike.
I rarely have any luck on Craig’s list or eBay. I have found a couple of used ones that the deals fell through on. I even flew ½ was across the country to look at a Burley only to find that the photo and the actual bike were not the same. I was headed that way on business, but still killed ½ a day. I have about decided just to buy a new one and be done with it.

I would like to stay in the $1500 to $2000 range on a used bike or no more than $3000 if I have to go new. So far I like the Burley Sosa and the Cannondale Road tandem. I would like to have stay with XT and 105 components or better. Am I overlooking another brand?

Locally my only option for a new tandem is a Co Motion. There is only 1 local tandem dealer I have found and that is all the carry. The Cdale and Burley have great reviews from what I have read on the board. Both these bike seem to be the best bang for the buck. I can drive 3hrs north to a bike store in the Dallas area that has Cdales in stock.

Does Burley still make bikes? I see Tandems East has some, but I can’t find a web site for them. If they no longer make them, maybe I don’t want one???

For a Tandem on line it looks like tandems East and tandem Cycle works are about the only choice I see. I will keep watching all the web and checking the classified here, but the wife is really wanting to get back on the road, so if I don’t find something soon, I will have to go new.

Everyone on this form has been very helpful in answering my questions over the last few weeks and I am grateful. I hope I can get my photo up on the Happy Tandem Couple tread very soon!!

Any suggestions