Old 05-11-08, 03:22 PM
GlassWolf
cat person

Bikes: Nashbar Race SIS (1987), Kestrel Talon (2007), Trek Fuel EX 9.5 (2007)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rutnick
A carbon MTB ridden on dirt roads only? The Gods of War cry. Nashbar Bar Ends and Latex tubes?
Once again, on dirt and pavement when I'm using it to go places I need to go. i.e., commuting around my rural area. The bar ends are comfortable, and the only ones I found similarly comfy were carbon bar ends that were selling for $100/pr or so, versus the $10/pr ones I'm using. I can't justify that difference in price just now, but if you'd like to buy them for me, I'm all for it! The tubes are heavy, as I mentioned, but for now they work. I may switch to normal tubes and just use tire strips or something instead, but I wanted some form of puncture protection, as the roads around here are littered with glass and such, and I don't feel like losing tubes and pulling out patch kits on every ride.

I will also once again reiterate, that when I go riding XC in the gravel pits out here and on two-tracks, I use the Mavic Crossmax SLR wheelset, with the XTR rotors and cassette, and the UST Maxxis Larsen TT tubeless tires, all of which are much lighter and @ 25psi, much more grippy off-road. I just don't want to wear them to nubs on asphault in a few months by riding those Larsens for commuting. Thus the second cheaper wheelset.