Old 05-14-08, 08:05 AM
climbhoser

Bikes: SS Surly Crosscheck; '91 Cannondale 3.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hydrogen?

They've more or less figgered out how to bottle it, and there are stations in Hollywood along with cars already in production to run off of it.

All that needs to happen is an urgency for stations to change over their technology. It's an investment that needs to be brought on by a decline in petrol purchases. If you've read the stats you've seen that despite the prices we are still buying petrol as quickly as we always have been, and that the cost isn't deterring us one bit. SUV sales may be plateaued, but barely. Family people still want big cars, and familys are being started every day. My wife was an eco-crusadeder, still is I should say, but once we had our daughter she started chanting "Suburban, Yukon, Excursion, Durango..." I retaliated with "Civic Hybrid, new bike, Prius..."

Anyhoo, I'm moderately concerned, but not so much that I fear a crisis on the level of terrorist attacks. Watch petrol purchases decline, gas burner car purchases decline and we'll see a market strategy arise that pushes alternative burners. It's simple economics really.

I see here in this thread fear that the technology can't sustain an alternative source of energy, but it can and it's already developed. Now it's just up to the market to bring it to the public and into our culture and way of living!

Besides, as a family member/oil-man just told me the other day-Cars utilize a microscopic portion of oil production. Everything else in our lives is also made from oil...think about the computer keys you're typing on when you respond to me! I think we're in for a big spanking if we can't get ahold of oil, but in a different way.