Old 05-14-08, 11:22 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by riddei
Moral of the story, is: live and let live. Sometimes it is difficult. If someone asks you for help, help them in the best way you can. If they don't ask for your help, let them lay in the bed they make for themselves.
I respectfully disagree. While everyone's circumstances are different, if there is a solution, persistence is a good tool in affecting that change.

My father passed in 2002 from symptoms related to a 17 year bout with Parkinson's Disease. His only choice in *living* was medication. His passing taught me what in my life I could control. Some do it easier than others. My sister is grappling with a severe weight problem and is making slow progress in losing her weight. She also has Myotonic Muscular Dystrophy. That she cannot control. What she can control is consumption of chips and soda, two of many foodstuffs that, when excised from one's diet, perpetuate weight loss.

It frustrates me, much like the OP, to see people who have obvious changes that are easy to implement right in front of them, but choose not to do so. I myself had high BP, cholesterol over 300 and the doc wanted to medicate me. That was all I needed to hear in order to cut out dairy (cheese, eggs, whole milk) and eat more fish and rice for a year. I also quit drinking and smoking - cold turkey. I went from 240 to 195, my BP regulated and my cholesterol is now at 200 - without meds. All this while riding the bicycle as often as possible. Combination of diet, exercise and lifestyle.

I understand my sister cannot be as active as I am able to be, but diet is well within one's control. I encourage her often in a direction that leads to a healthier 'her' in the autumn of her life.