Thread: Hand Signals
View Single Post
Old 05-15-08, 06:59 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by zoste
OK, I'll admit that I'm not terribly diligent about signaling, but listen to this:

I'm out for a "Dawn Patrol" ride this morning. I am approaching a side street where I want to make a left turn and I am about in the middle of the travel lane. I look into my mirror and notice that a car is approaching from behind. I figure that I'd better let the driver know why I am not going to move out of his way and give him the lane. So I stick out my left paw and point at the approaching intersection. Apparently the driver thinks that I am waiving him around so he pulls into the oncoming lane to pass me (It was about 6:15 am so there wasn't any traffic). Good thing that I was watching him 'cause I merely had to slow down and let him by, but...

In this case, signaling did no good whatsoever.

What did I do wrong? Should I not have pointed? Is there some better signal to indicate "Hey I am about to turn right THERE"?

I had a hand signal for him after he started passing but I didn't use it...
Hmm, when I am preparing for a left, I pull to the left side of the lane to make my intentions clear. I can signal, but usually road or traffic conditions either don't warrant it or make it dangerous to take hands off the bars. Besides, as others have mentioned, hand signals are often misunderstood or ignored.