Old 05-15-08, 11:18 AM
supcom
You need a new bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mar1nka
First off, Hello from the complete noob!

I'm looking for some second opinions on what I need to lock my bike and keep it secure at work. I just got a new bike for commuting, and I work in a fairly high-security (high-level data storage / former defense contractors) building. There is a nice bike rack in the parking garage, which has no access without photo ID keycards, cameras all over the building and a guard posted 24 hours.

The clerk at the LBS thought that a Master Lock Quantum 15 keyed cable lock would be sufficient in this situation, but I'd like to get some feedback from all of you? If I do need to pick up a U lock, would something under $40 SRP be sufficient?

Thanks for the feedback!
In such case, you simply need to protect your bike from your co-workers and the security people. The cheapest lock from a discount store would be adequate.

However, you might decide to stop at a grocery store on the way home, so you probably should buy a good lock anyway. An OnGuard U-lock would be a good choice for something that's not too heavy but provides reasonable theft protection.