Old 05-15-08, 01:21 PM
grueling
old and in the way

Bikes: Niner RLT, Niner rigid MTB, Salsa Beargrease, Rocky Mountain Element

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have vacationed in Yellowstone the past 2 summers with my family and have in the park at least 6 times.

Having bikes in the campground is very handy. Otherwise there is almost no MTB riding in the park and I would recommend against road riding. The traffic is really heavy in June. There are large numbers of people who rent RVs and tour the park - many have no experience driving a vehicle any larger than a sedan - many may drive on the other side of the road in their native lands. Combine this with narrow shoulders and it is very scary. I did a 65 mile day in the park last summer - and I wont try that again - due only to the traffic. I also did a road ride from Teton Park to Jackson and back, 75+or-. Again, with only 1 main highway (2 lane) between Jackson WY and Yellowstone, traffic was an issue.

Don't forget that the elevation in the park is significantly higher than FL and there is a lot less oxygen

Most of the sights in the park are far enough apart that family riding is probably not an option.

Yellowstone is a GREAT family vacation spot and we will go again, soon. Enjoy it truly is an amazing experience.