Old 05-16-08, 11:10 AM
WalterMitty
Old Enough to Know Better

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm glad you weren't hurt.

It's difficult to always be prepared to take control of a situation and conversation and direct it in the way it should go. Some of us pick it up at our day jobs and have opportunities to develop and refine the tools so that they appear very natural, buy us some time to think, and helps put the other person either in their place or begins to divert them from an undesirable path.

Cops and Comedians are examples of professions where the good ones develop these skills.

Have you ever seen a good comedian? Do you think that's the first time he/she told that joke?

Have you ever seen a good Cop take control of a tense situation and resolve it? Do you think that's the first time the words, phrases, actions were taken?

Handling these kinds of situations is like learning to tell a really good, really complicated joke that includes audience participation that you include in the routine.

I learned this in Army BCT and the various NCO Academies you have to go through to get promotions. The biggest part of the population doesn't realize that Cops, Comedians, Magicians, etc, are working from a script that they have developed over time that first sets the parameters or tone of the scene then progresses from one predictable response to the next.

This post is too long already so I'll try to wrap it up:

"His reaction is to slam on the brakes, get out of his truck and scream at me for having the temerity to hollar at him"

Reply in an even but projected voice:

"You ran me off the road because you weren't paying attention to your driving. Is that your truck and is "BR-549" your correct tag number?"

Wait for response:

It can go a number of directions that you will have to manage, but you will want to stay away from questions that require sympathy or concern from what may be a sociopath. "I slowly pedaled back and asked him if he was on the phone causing him to nearly end my day." This is a submissive response requesting empathy from an obvious bully. You allowed him to set the tone and control the situation.

The first "unofficial" rule for dealing with strangers in what could become hazardous situations is to "Be Polite, Be Courteous, and have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

When somebody slams on their brakes and gets out of a vehicle because I have just told them to get off the phone and drive is to be prepared for everything from "Are you hurt?" to "I'm gonna kill you".

So you'll either have to learn to hold your tongue, or learn to work a crowd. You can't always count on a JAM to just drive away after you give them driving advice.