View Single Post
Old 05-16-08, 03:33 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by deez
I want a set of panniers for my cruiser but i want them to look cool. I want motorcycle saddle bag look and something made of either leather or Canvas.

I saw these Brooks Roll up panniers that I thought had about the right style... 300 bones is definitely out of my price range, but I could see myself making something similar out of some canvas or denim or leather if i had a source.

http://clevercycles.com/store/?c=web...phalt-one+size

Anybody make their own cool lookin panniers? I've seen the threads where folks have turned kitty litter buckets and old backpacks into panniers but I gotta be stylish here.

I'd love to see some pics of some cruisers with panniers just to get some ideas...I'm leaning strongly towards breaking out the sewing machine this weekend.
I have to admit that while I only spent about $60 (less than 90 with shipping I think it was) they weren't large enough and were not as strong and durable as I'd hoped for. I didn't want leather or canvas but Harley Electro-Glide c.1980 was very nice and there are shaped rounded motorcycle panniers with a leather/leather-like covering on other cycles I see. An organic or synthethic lining is not desired by me as I don't want liquid items leaking into them. I carry groceries in them but on the other hand the Schwinn allows me to haul more in my full compliment of Wald baskets.

Did you look at the Wald site to see if they have a more affordable way to do this? Have you thought of dying plain canvas and treating it to stitch a custom bag? You could tie-dye it if it struck your fancy!

Here's another idea--make the bags so that they can be lifted out and dropped in, with a zipper flap to shut them off and a hanger system. You can then be green and carry them out to the bike and into the house without loading and reloading. You can roll them up and strap around with a metal fastener that attaches to the frame when out of use or to the bag during use anyway.

Last edited by Rollfast; 05-16-08 at 03:43 PM.