View Single Post
Old 05-18-08, 04:28 AM
benten biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CO2 Alternative

The CO2 problem in tires is not new and no different than leaving a carbonated beverage packaged in a plastic bottle around for a while, it goes flat. I just ran across an article from 1967 (http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/pic...5&blobtype=pdf) where a study was completed regarding the permeability of CO2 through various membranes. Rubber seems to have the highest permeability of all of the materials tested and it was the thickest. The bottom line as someone pointed out, is that CO2 is meant to just to get you home. If the pressure holds more than a day, you’re doing good.

About a year ago, I ran across a couple of guys that were developing an inert gas mixture that had would not permeate through tires. They filled up my mountain bike tires 10 months ago to 55 psig and my tires are still at 55 psig and I have not had to break out the tire pump yet. It’s kind of nice to be able to pull the bike off the rack and hit the road without the ritual inflation; I’m spoiled for life now.

Before writing this post, I called these guys and they are planning on rolling out their gas product under the name Stayfill which will be packaged in the same size cartridge as the CO2 so it will be a drop in replacement for those of us with the CO2 fill valves. They expect to have their website up and running in 3-4 weeks and selling product. I believe their website is like the name: www.stayfill.com.