I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by robertlinthicum
You aren't getting it--my point is that monitoring what is going on behind you, UNLESS you are about to "make moves in traffic", is a distraction and waste of time, and you are recommending just that to a new commuter, who has stated that lane changes aren't on the menu.

But you will persist, so who buys it, eats it.

Nothing necessarily wrong with it, but I can imagine that yours is the school of thought that advises that one must be able to "hear real good" so that one can hear motorists trying to "warn" us with their horns.

Thus endeth my participation (and interest) in this thread. Happy and safe riding to all, especially the OP. (Best course for you is to read the latest edition of Effective Cycling . . .)
I should have guessed that the Read the Book mantra was imminent from this poster after his references to off the wall head turns and merging into lanes ranting . Good Bye!
On the OP's road with few cars coming the best bet for his peace of mind just may be too pull off the road when the occasional car approaches unless there is a clear indication that the driver will give the OP sufficient room. The mirror and listening can be very helpful tools without any great effort for being aware of those few approaching vehicles.

www.Alertshirt.com for very visible, inexpensive apparel for suitable for the OP's needs.

I agree with Bekologist's skepticism about a bike shop that would pooh-pooh the use of a visibility flag for this purpose. I suppose it doesn't fit the Tour de France image, or there isn't sufficient markup on it. Maybe the LBS will promote them when the pole is made of carbon fiber.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 05-19-08 at 07:12 PM. Reason: correct URL address