View Single Post
Old 05-22-08, 11:52 AM
Chansnewbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acantor
Almost any bicycle can handle the occasional rough road. I once took a mountainous logging road on 23 mm slicks. It was not ideal, but no problems. No spills, no punctures. I took it slowly, and walked my bike over the sandy parts.

If you like to ride fast, consider a sport tourer rather than an expedition tourer, and get the lightest strong wheels that you can afford. The geometry of a sport tourer is closer to that of a racer, and light wheels should make the bike more responsive and faster. If you go this route, balance weight and strength when choosing wheels. Don't skimp on spokes.

And don't go overboard to get speed. I like to ride fast, too, and zip along nicely on 32 mm tires. And don't undervalue gearing and comfort. It's no picnic walking up every monster hill and/or riding in pain!
Hmmm, looks like a sports tourer is what I've wanted. Basically i'm trying to get the best of both worlds

- a touring bike

-a racing bike

-just take off the rack and maybe change the wheels for ligters ones and "WAlla!" You got your self BOTH.

That may seem impossible but I want a "cross" of the two including the ability to handle off some off roads and potholes (although I know they're not made for that).