View Single Post
Old 05-22-08, 05:24 PM
mike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by accorn
Hey - I am waiting for an adult trike to be delivered with a built in child seat.
Trying to be green by doing more shopping via bike, and thought the exercise would be good for me and my child would enjoy the ride.

In preperation I've read "The art of cycling". The safety stats cited by the author freaks me out a little though that he suggested that an "experienced" biker could expect an average injury every 15,000 miles, and a complete wipe out every 30,000 miles.
I know there is risk in any transportation (cars etc) but at least in the car there is a much built in protection with all that steel.
Just wondering if the risk is really that high - since if I wipe out I could try to defend myself but my toddler would be pretty much defenseless.

I'm still leaning towards doing it I think but just wondering what other people think on the topic.

Thanks!
Where do these ridiculous statistics come from??! I swear, you can get ANY statistic to meet any need. For me, that would be at least one injury every year and that just isn't the case despite mostly city riding.

Anyway, I say that transporting a child by bicycle is abundantly safe. In fact, I think the old bicycle seat that mounted to the rear of the bicycle is especially safe with it's full-body shell.

If you have not yet bicycled with your child, you are in for a wonderful experience.