Old 05-23-08, 09:18 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony (Michigan)
If anyone here has gone through a professional bike fitment, could you please point me in a good direction? Or is it a waste of time?

Tony
Hi, Tony, I had a fitting done at Cadence Cycle in Saline, MI, and I think it was very positive. I have some knowledge of fitting, having read al the books and magazine articles, experimentted on myself and on Mrs. Road Fan, and those experiments resulted in improvements and some degree of problem-solving. But the fitter at Cadence made it a lot better, not by any radical changes, but by going through a methodical process he has practiced, and using judgement he has honed. The one technique he had that I don't have was to set my saddle height based on knee bend angle, rather than heel position, inseam multiplied by a fudge factor, or purely by eye. It was worth it, and he guarentees his work. If something doesn't work, bring the bike he fit back and he'll sort out what's wrong.

Other SE Michigan shops I would try: Kinetic Systems in Clarkston, and Continental Cycles on John R in (I think) Berkeley. Ride Boutique in Brighton has a very extensive and expensive process, that looks like it should work well. I wouldn't say any of these are necessarily racer-oriented. I made it clear to Cadence that I was not intending to race anytime soon, but needed to ride local distance and fitness/training rides comfortably and efficiently without hurting my 50 year old joints. BTW, racers need these benefits, too.

I'm sure there are other good places to try, as well.