View Single Post
Old 05-24-08, 05:35 AM
damnable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What to look for in a garage queen?

Now I know this question could go in a multitude of section but I know there are some people hanging around here who have actually done this.

So…what do you look for?

Are there certain brands to keep an eye out for or parts or just simply the integrity of the frame?

Will newer parts generally fit on older frames or are there specific ones that will or will not work?

I’d be looking to turn into something of a road bike variety. Just to run small errands on and to go for short (sub 1hr) rides on that will also be a bit swifter than the mtb. I am quite a paranoid person too, so currently I am worried to ride and lock up for fear of non-rightly locked down parts if not the whole thing getting nicked.

From what I hear they are generally pretty much a complete rebuild of the bike so it would be quite a bit of a project, but the idea just won’t go away. It doesn’t help that there seems to be a lot of school fetes on about this time with those white elephant stores and the like. There also seems the trend at my uni where people lock up their bike in an obvious place and stick a for sale sign on them. I’m not so sure at the moment I will actively go out searching but I would like to keep my eye out.

Any specific of general advice on the issue would be greatly appreciated!