View Single Post
Old 05-24-08, 12:01 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
As a proud dad of two adult children who are contributing members of society...My pet peeve is the parents that purchase a brand new car for boopsie to drive the minute they get their license. Quite often these cars are inappropriate for teens to be driving PERIOD!

My two both got their licenses at 16, however neither one was driving unsupervised for at least a year and when they did drive unsupervised it was greatly restricted to need. My son had borrowed one of our family sedans to haul some stuff to college his second year. He was involved in a relative minor accident on campus that totaled the car. HE chose not to have access to another car on campus until his senior year when he signed up for Zipcar. Now he is in the UK and still prefers mass transit to driving. He does drive, but considers it a major chore. His sister who is 17 months younger has her own car that she paid for, maintains and has driven across country. She will use mass transit if available, but given her school location and her job field it is not usually feasible.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon

Last edited by wahoonc; 05-24-08 at 08:26 PM. Reason: speeling