rae
legs full of molasses

Bikes: 1982 Nishiki Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it because it's not white?

I came to BF looking for advice (as many have) about choosing a new bike last fall, since I was riding more and running less; but before I had shopped an awful lot ( ignoring all the collected wisdom) I jumped at a great deal for a like-new black Trek Pilot 1.0 that I thought would be my size (a size that I had tried out in store).

After taking it for a fitting, (& the guy thought I might have gone a size smaller) and several short rides, I went out yesterday & rode the Johnstown rail-trail (28 miles round trip) which has been a frequent ride for me on my cheap Target bike.
At first, I really noticed how much lighter and faster the bike was. But it wasn't long before things began nagging at me, that never bothered me before. On the cheap bike, my biggest complaints (besides its weight) were that it was just too far of a stretch to the handlebars, & the sole hand position. (oh, and the balky shifting ...)

Now, on the Trek drop bars, I couldn't seem to be very comfortable with my hands anywhere, I had an ache behind my shoulderblade, the bike felt too small, & boy did I feel every little jolt! My toe had a close encounter with the wheel on a sharp turn, too. It was difficult to stand & pedal, & trying made my knee hurt--my knees have never hurt biking before! I wasn't extraordinarily tired at the end, just about what I aimed for,--and I would have been very tired on the cheap bike-- but I was just plain uncomfortable.

I am hoping that I just need to get used to the different geometry of this bike,& the different handlebars, & get into a bit more riding shape.
Tomorrow is supposed to be good weather again, so I will do another of the local paths & see how it feels.
Really, though, I don't remember my old chromoly tourer being nearly as rough a ride, even though this has a carbon fork etc.