View Single Post
Old 04-26-02, 10:02 AM
b_rider

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally posted by LittleBigMan
Don't get me wrong. I don't claim Atlanta is a gem for cycling, after all, I'm no expert. But here's my personal beef (yes, it was "Bicycling" magazine)...

What makes a city (for me) good for cycling is
the quality of the roads, not the number of bike paths or bike lanes. Bike paths and lanes have an understanding with me: I know they are intended to help me, but I avoid them, having cut my teeth using them. Just like as a kid, I played everywhere except the "playground," which not only seemed dangerous to me, but also boring.

I do not think paths or lanes make a city better for cycling. Overall, what makes cycling best for me is when motorists recognize my place in their lane and know how to view me as part of traffic.

I agree with your sentiment of what makes a city a good place for cycling. I know in my post I focuesd on bike trail. Like you I prefere to ride on the publis streets. The only time I use the trails is when I want to get from part of the city to the next with out climbing hills, more like a recovery ride. Otherwise I stay on the city streets. The reason I mentioned the bike trails is the article in Bicycling use this as one of many parts of their "scoring" method for the cities that they ranked.

For the most part in my area the traffic is not to bad. There are streets that you simply do not ride on, it is suicide to do so. I think in every city that has a population of 5,000 or more this is the case. But even in a city with the size of population that I live in there are not that many of these streets. And there are ways to get to where you want to go in the same direction these busy streets go and avoid riding on these streets.

Now let me ask you this littlebigman. Do you believe or is it in your opinion that every street in every city, no matter how big or small should be safe enough for cyclists to ride on, provided it is lawfully allowed? Heres a example of a not so safe street in Sioux City. Its called Gordon Drive. The speed limit on Gordon is between 35 and 45 mph going through town. It is one of the, if the busiest street here in Sioux City. Do you believe that cyclist should feel safe to ride on Gordon. BTW in Iowa a cyclist can ride on any street, road, highway or interstate where there is not a minimum speed limit posted. gordon does not have a minimum limit posted. Also a cyclist in Iowa is allowed one half of one lane according to law. So legally a cyclist is allowed to ride on Gordon. Now there are other safer streets to ride on that go the same direction as Gordon, they are residental and only around 25 to 30 mph. So is your opinion that regardless if there are other safer routes to take, you believe that all streets should be safe enough for cyclists?