View Single Post
Old 05-26-08, 07:23 AM
Orlando

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by The Historian
Neils on Wheels rides, including Neil on Wheels rides, are always interesting. Few, however, are as interesting as Neil F.'s latest little adventure. I do wish he could be as boring as me.
As I posted in another thread, I wasn't boring this morning.

This morning I had a little accident on the mile ride to the train station from Neil F.'s house. I was in a hurry and apparently didn't fasten a pannier strap securely. So it came undone at 18 MPH and was sucked into the rear wheel. The pannier followed. I skidded to a stop. I remained upright, but the bike is now out of commission. A preliminary account of the damage includes nine spokes knocked out or broken, I don't know how many others loosened or otherwise damaged, the rear wheel seriously out of true, the rear tire shredded, and the rear brakes knocked out of alignment. Other than the shock and some upper body weakness caused by my having to carry the bike a mile, I'm OK.

I'm trying to find a local bike shop open today so I can get repaired and get rolling home. I didn't drive here, but instead did a bike-train commute. Once I know about my travel plans for today, I'll worry about the Pittsburgh-DC tour at the end of the week.

Neil B.
(using an alternate identity because he can't remember his Bike Forums password)