Old 05-26-08, 08:11 AM
uciflylow
Still on two wheels!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Surly Nice, or JandD rack?

I have been following the toruing threads for years, and am making plans for some short touring trips. I also ride a road bike, and commute to work as much as possible during the warmer months. My current commuter is a (too big for me) Trek 850 Mtbike. It has cheeper aluminium racks front and back, but haven't been loaded heavy for any lengthy trips. The rear rack mostly caries my cloths and shoes for work. I also wanted a commuter that fit me properly, with the capibility of toruing. My bike shop is a Trek dealer, but it was gonna take forever to get a 520, then I wanted the crank changed, SO!
As I type this, the bike shop is building my Long Haul Trucker and I am mulling over my rack choices. I have narrowed them to the Surly Nice racks or the JandD Expedition, and Extreme. I want the shelf on the front, because my current commuter rack has a shelf and it is handy. I wonder if the weight of the steel racks will be a handicap when using this bike as a commuter. I have thought about going with the Surly and removing the front rack when not on a tour. It looks like once set up it will only be removing 4 bolts to remove the rack.
Build specks, LHT in Olive, bar end shifters, A719 rims 36hole w DT Swiss spokes, LX hubs and derailleurs, Shimano LX Treaking crank, 48/36/26, Canti brakes, and fenders. I'll try and post a picture when it's at it's new home.

My bike will be used mostly for commuting, with a weekend tour thrown in here and there, but I have a week long tour planned for the summer. Just wondering if anyone has suggestions.