Old 05-26-08, 02:56 PM
bryroth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wheel Chatter - and I can't ride because of it. What is it?

I'm new to bike mechanics, in the past I've been a doosh and paid for everything. Now I've caused a problem that has effectively stopped me from biking (today at least).

Here is the thing. I've been having a hell of a time getting my brakes the way that I want them. The latest thing I did was install Kool Stop salmon-colored pads in the front. To eliminate the squeal, I've sanded them a bit and toed them in.

Now when I apply the front brakes, nothing happens at first, then there is a LOUD machine-gun-tempo squeal and the bike stops like it has anti-lock brakes. That is, it locks then unlocks then locks then unlocks, like a machine gun. It really jolts me if I'm going faster than 8 miles per hour. Which I would really like to do again someday. Also, I can't reduce my speed. I can only stop. For example, if I'm going 20mph and want to go 15mph, I don't have that option. All I can do is have the bike try and lock the tire to bring me to a complete stop.

What the hell did I do? How can I un-do it? I am REALLY trying to avoid paying $30 (that's how much my lbs/chain charges) to get my front brakes installed correctly. And yes, that's $30 even if I supply the pads. *******s.

So I paid way to much for this bike to ruin it with $10 worth of brake pads.

I have Avid Shorty 4 cantilever brakes:

I have Kool Stop Supra 2 pads:

Help. Please.