View Single Post
Old 05-27-08, 09:18 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What stinks is the fact that in Indiana, we have mandatory insurance and it includes mandatory uninsured motorist/underinsured motorist coverage......what's the point?

Originally Posted by WalterMitty View Post
This is good advice. I've got one vehicle on a "low mileage" policy that restricts me to <7500 miles a year. It sits in the garage and I use it when I need it (It's a Z71). It saves a bunch of money and you'd be surprised how few miles you can use once you break the habit.

You'll want to really dig in to the details of the coverage you have and what you get for it. In the states I have lived, "Uninsured Motorist" is one of the biggest rackets in the business. All UIM pays for are medical expenses for passengers of my vehicle if we are struck by an unisured motorist; and it only pays *after* any other applicable medical coverage has been exhausted.

Did you follow that? It doesn't fix your car or property, it won't pay your medical bills if you are covered somewhere else (like at work) and it only kicks in if the other party isn't insured and the crash is their fault. I haven't had anyone in one of my vehicles that isn't covered by health insurance in one form or another for, ever(?), and virtually all of the basic policies cover things that are my fault. So what are the chances?

Many Insurance Agents aren't very forthcoming about what is, and what is not worth having. It is very worthwhile to schedule an afternoon with your agent, go line-by-line down your policy and see what you've got and what it's worth. Then choose accordingly.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant