View Single Post
Old 05-29-08, 09:04 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
AS Sam Rensho describes, riding thru a red on a opposing green arrow is bonifide defensive traffic cycling technique, despite it not following the rules of the law to the letter. perhaps the bicyclists' execution was flawed.

There's a three minute light at an intersection I've ridden thru often for many years. Heavy traffic in three directions, one street is very low traffic and signal intervalled as such. Coming off the very low traffic street, a bike will often miss the small window of opportunity to cross, then wait thru a LONG left turn light opposing, before turning to a 120 second arterial cross flow.

I have ridden thru that intersection after the opposing left turning traffic has cleared the intersection and I know I've got time before cross traffic gets the green. This allows me to ride another half mile or so ahead of traffic 'static' overtaking as the road moves towards a freeway feeder.

Reducing the overtaking traffic quotient by riding the opposing green is the most expedient and safest way to ride the intersection and road beyond I describe.
Nobody's complained, I feel its a smooth, daresay 'vehicular' movement of a bicycle, despite not according to the signalization at that intersection.

'not a real cyclist?' Please. Not a safety ambassador, perhaps, but DEFINETLY a real cyclist.
And this applies also to running any red light when doing so will not violate any other traffic's right of way. You are much safer up and moving on your bike because of fewer overtakers.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1