Old 05-29-08, 04:31 PM
Eli_Damon

Bikes: Miyata touring bike, Xtracycle, Montague DX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
riding on the interstates

If any of you are knowledgible about vehicular cycling or the legal system, I would greatly appreciate your comments. Those of you who are tempted to point out how crazy or stupid you think I am, I would greatly appreciate your restraint.

Twice I have ridden on interstate highways unintentionally and have come to realize what a hinderance it is to be excluded from them. On long trips, I would really like to be able to use them. I believe that it could reduce my travel time by more than 60%. (I am also very upset at the mere fact of being excluded but there is more to it than that.)

(1) How dangerous is it?
Do you do it? Do you use the shoulder or the road proper? If you use the shoulder, how do you deal with entrance and exit ramps, particularly at interchanges where it is not possible to exit and then re-enter? How, if at all, can it be done with reasonable safety?

(2) How illegal is it?
What should I do if I am confronted by a police officer? Can I be arrested? Would it be better not to carry ID? How should I handle a citation?

Thanks. I know this might be hopeless but I had to ask. It has been making me intensely upset ever since my most recent long trip about two months ago.