Old 05-30-08, 05:57 PM
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Being fat and out of shape well, sucks....as evident tonight....

So.....now that I've been back on the bike for a grand total of a week, I figured I'd jump back in with both feet. What better way to do that than with climbing repeats you say? Well...maybe some V02 barfervals, but I only do those on the trainer. Soooo.....email went out yesterday from the club to meet up for some climbing repeats today.

Awesome. First real intensity work of the year, AND after 2 lengthy layoffs in the last 6-7 months. I had a feeling this was going to be a rather humbling experience....and I wasn't disappointed.

Oh, and I gained 15 pounds since December. Not exactly muscle, either. Just weighed myself...151 pounds. Ugh.

I got my ass handed to me today. I had to stop after the second time up....not sure how many more the group was going to do. There were six of us, and people I would've (and had) routinely destroyed last year, dropped me. Granted, the first time up, I had dropped my mini-pump out of my rear pocket on the descent to the start of the climb, so I had to catch back up to the group on the way up (and got up to the first 2 guys by the top), but the second time, I was 4th up, and my legs were gone.

Completely and totally out of gas. Loafing along up a 10-11% grade in my 36x26, slumped over my handlebar, entire body rocking, sucking wind, just trying to push a little bit more. Well, this is not good.....

Looks like racing is definitely not in the cards anytime soon . I know I can sometimes bounce back quickly....but tonight was a real eye-opener as to how much fitness I've lost since last fall.