View Single Post
Old 05-31-08, 12:48 PM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lalato
Hi Gang,
While I've been on these forums for several months now, I'm still a relative newbie when it comes to bikes. I recently started using my Giant Halfway to commute to work. I had bought it used with, of course, used tires. The tires will need replacement soon and I'm wondering which tires to get.

I'll freely admit that most of the miles I ride are on fairly easy suburban neighborhood streets. However, there is some riding over rough, pot-holed Chicago city streets too. Comfort is probably more important than speed.

Thanks for any advice and suggestions you folks can give me.
--sam

p.s. The current tires are Kenda Kwest 20 x 1.50
Is there a lot of space for wide tires? See if you can fit the Schwalbe Big Apples in there. I forget the range for the 20 x 2.0" tires, but if you keep the PSI low you will enjoy a comfortable and compliant ride without suffering much of a loss in performance.

If those are too wide, then try 1.75" tires ... there are several brands/models out there. I am thinking about trying the Avocet Fastgrips but my Marathon Racers have a teeny bit of life left in them and I just had knee surgery. So no need to rush out and buy a new set of tires.

These guys have a wide selection of tires ... http://www.calhouncycle.com/