View Single Post
Old 06-01-08, 01:00 AM
pista

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lived in White Rock. I rode to Harrison Hot Springs. Took 0 Avenue to Abbotsfrord, worked my way thru Chilliwack and onto Old Yale Road to Harrison. Had a late luch and then road back the same way. Very easy ride. O Avenue does have it's rollers though. One good thing about this ride is you don't have to carry 4 water bottles because there plenty of mom and pop grocery stores and gas stations to get drinks and cholocate bars or whatever to keep you pumped up. A nice peaceful ride. I plan on doing this one again.

The most agonizing ride I've done in the lower mainland was to the Hope Rock Slide viewpoint. I stared out in Chilliwack, took the side roads to Crows Nest pass and on wards. What an unrelenting climb. The descent was wonderful. I like a good fast descent. I hit over 110 km per hour at one point. Scary for some but I like speed. Not bragging, but in my racing days I loved the descent and would pass guys one after another, carving out the turns. Boy that was fun. I find most cyclist are not good descenters. They can't take the speed. However, in retropect, descenting is really an acquired skill.

Another good ride is from the West End to Squamish and back. Beautiful views, gut buster climbs and really fast descents. Just go over the Lions Gate Bridge, go west on Marine drive to Horseshoe Bay, got up past the ferry terminal and on you go. Beautiful views but somewhat limited in getting supplies like food and drink. I think I only drank 2 litres before filling up in Squamish.

Mount Seymour is another good ride - not too long. It's about 10 miles to the top, an unrelenting climb that will make your legs burn, make you swear and sweat like a pig. You reach the parking area, rest for a while, tank up of water and Rice Krispie bars and start bombing down the mountain. Fast, very fast. Watch for a couple of hairpin turns though.

Have fun.

Last edited by pista; 06-01-08 at 01:10 AM.