Old 06-02-08, 10:36 AM
rustguard
bike wannabee

Bikes: road, mountain, tourer, and spares

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
in Australia, I have never come across the term dry torque. I searched australian web pages by entering "dry torque" in google and came up with 12 listings and only 2 of these were to do with dry torque upon removing the exclamations i found a set of genie installation instructions that gave both dry and wet. Genie is an american brand. upon searching american web pages, yes dry torque was commonly referred too. obviously australian standards are different to usa. I have been taught that torquing bolts un- lubricated produces inconsistent results. and I still believe from my experience that threads are always best tightened lubricated. If you have experienced what happens when threads 'pick up' you will know why. And as for genie suggesting that people should put bolts in a chassis underneath a car dry is a joke, because cars drive through water and I havnt seen any stainless suspension bolts on a car yet. I would like the author round when ive been underneath a few cars undoing 'dry' bolts. And as for setting torques by stretch or degrees, well thats fine when its all been worked out for you by the manufacturer, but not so practical in the jobbing workshop. Sounds a lot more like an engineer talking than a mechanic. No offense engineers usually get paid more.

If your torquing or installing bolts dry without a reason its second rate work. am i guilty yes. have i ever used olive oil cause im too lazy to walk out to the shed- yes.