View Single Post
Old 06-02-08, 09:04 PM
jwlunt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Xootr Swift - urgent pivot bolt question

Hi Xootr Swifties. I have an urgent question for you. My replacement Swift arrived today (the previous one had the dreaded 8th gear frame chain rub). Although the chain does not rub on this one, I have spotted something else of concern. If I remove the seat post entirely and “fold” it I have significant lateral play on the pivot, ie the rear wheel and frame can easily move SIDEWAYS in relation to the front frame. My previous one was nice & smooth – no play at all. This new one has at least 2mm play left & right. The result is that sometimes the seat post won’t go down at all and the frame halves need to be aligned by eye. After comparing the two frames, its clear what the problem is: the new bike simply has larger holes on the rear frame for the pivot bolt to go through. Net: there is lots of play.

Now, when riding I don’t know if this will be a problem because the seat post anchors it all. However, the extra play surely must allow some flex through that you don’t really want and makes the job of the lower release lever much harder. Long term this could result in frame damage… maybe? So, can I ask other Swifties to take a look and see how much lateral movement you get from the rear frame when folded? My is as wobbly as jelly when in folded position – it literally clunks from side to side when jiggled. Maybe if everyone has this lateral movement I won’t be worried. As it is, I’m concerned I may have to return the bike for a third one.

Thanks

Jonathan