Thread: grrrrr... tires
View Single Post
Old 10-19-04, 10:25 PM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If your commuting to work and are tired of having to fix flats on the way to work and want to reduce the likely hood of flats down to almost zero, then get a set of Specialize Armadillos and don't screw around with any other tire. I tried the screwing around with other tire routine, in fact screwed around with over a dozen different brands all promising to reduce flats. I averaged 3 flats a week PLUS no tire made it further then 750 miles before something fatally attacked it; this went on for about 2 years before finally a LBS told me about the Armadillos. Now after more then 15,000 miles I have had just 2 flats-one from a faulty tube, and the other from a worn out tire where something penetrated the exposed cording, and none have been destroyed before wear out. I was also dealing with Goatheads which I think are far worst then glass. But the Armadillos give you tremendous piece of mind; I can't count the number of times I crunched glass never got a flat. I do not use any liners (because goatheads have punched through), I don't use Slime tubes (because they don't work above 60psi), but I do use ultralight 65grm racing tubes.