Old 06-04-08, 04:10 PM
twobikes
Healthy and active

Bikes: mid-60's Dunelt 10-speed, Specialized Allez Sport Tripple, Trek 7.2 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was there a couple of years ago, but not with a bike. We arrived at and departed from the airport on the ground by means of a tour bus on limited access divided four lane highways. I do not know if there would also be surface streets servicing it.

I remember exchanging a couple of posts on BF with someone from Athens. He said he does not cycle in Athens, but goes outside of the city to cycle in the mountains and hills. A lot of what I saw while in Athens and his comments led me to believe Athens is not very conducive to cycling.

But, looking at Athens and the Athens airport on Google Maps (satellite view), it appears there are some two lane conventional roads not far from the airport that lead into Athens. I cannot tell if they are heavily traveled or if there is room for a bike on them.

Many of the people in Athens speak very good English, and that is a tremendous help. I studied New Testament Greek in college. While in Athens I bought a dictionary for Modern Greek. It combined with what I knew from my college Greek helped me decipher notices and signs and was a big advantage. Even the dictionary without any study of Greek would have been a help, but you would need some self-tutoring with the characters of the alphabet, both upper and lower case.

Last edited by twobikes; 06-04-08 at 04:25 PM. Reason: add information