Old 10-20-04, 10:52 AM
Merryish
very. highly. focused.

Bikes: Trek 7200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your November sounds a lot like my November, though I don't think we're expecting snow any time soon. I have the same issue - it'd be nice to buy the specialized stuff, but I really can't afford it and still support my electronic gadget habit.

My plan, which has worked so far (high-30's to mid-50's this past couple of weeks) is a specialized base layer, upon which I pile whatever I need from my current wardrobe. For instance, I bought:

a pair of long johns/tights
a long-sleeved wicking jersey
a balaclava
a pair of glove liners
a pair of wool socks

I haven't bothered with the balaclava yet, it hasn't been cold enough. The base layer alone is plenty for the fifties and high forties, but any lower than that and I throw a sweatshirt over the jersey and a pair of sweat pants over the tights and wear the glove liners under my regular no-finger cycling gloves. I've got some wool sweaters and polar fleece pull-overs in my closet that I will throw on when the temps drop below thirty, and a wind-breaking jacket. Various scarves and hats that will fit under the helmet may come into play later on.

I think this will get me by until December; on my to-buy list I have mostly windblock-gear and rain-gear. You might check out campmor.com for low-cost base-layerish stuff; that's where I got most of mine, and I've been pretty happy with it.