Old 10-20-04, 10:57 AM
westman2003

Bikes: Norco MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use option A myself. I was able to find enough stuff to stay warm. Here is the run down on what I wear. Temps here are currently down to -7c/20f.

FEET: 2 X pair of warm socks. 1 X pair of Gortex Socks (I have these from the army) 1 X pair of runners. (I'll update the runners to thinsulite boots as it gets colder but right now no problems with cold or wet feet)

LEGS: Long Johns & Nylon Pants. If it gets colder I'll add a pair of sweats between the long johns and nylon pants.

UPPER BODY: Thermal top (nothing special just some long sleve sweatshirt I had),1-2 fleece tops, Nylon Jacket. Outer layer is my bright yellow nylon riding jacket with reflective stripes. Jacket provides no warmth but is waterproof and very visable.

Hands: Ski gloves (nothing expensive, bought at local dept store). If above freezing I have some light weight gloves.

HEAD: Tight fitting balaclava. Head band over ears. Ski goggles. If temp drops I put on a 2nd loose fitting balaclave that sits around my neck and chin only.

All in all I find the key is LAYERS and a waterproof outer layer. I can always throw on 1 extra layer if cold or remove one if hot and if I'm dry I stay warm.

I have bought some specialty items but mostly try to raid the closet of exisiting stuff.

Hope this helps