artifice
superArti

Bikes: 2007 Fuji Professional 2.0, 2009 GTw Avalanche 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ericm979
Did you run over the nail and have it go through the rim? I had that happen with a bolt that I didn't see on the road. I must have just touched it with the front tire, just enough so that it popped up just as the rear went over it. It went through the tire, the tube, and the rim. Whacked the hell out of the back brake before I could stop.

But it was obvious what happened. It sounds like you don't really know, or you're being coy. Did you examine the tire and wheel?

My bolt went through the rim 'floor' between the sidewalls but didn't damage the rim in any other way (except a few gouges that I could ignore). So when I got home and pulled it out with a pair of pliers, I just taped over the hole with some fiberglass strapping tape and put on a new rim strip.

EDIT: never mind, you explained while I was writing. Y'all post fast!
Walking the bike on the rim with a flat tire shouldn't have damaged it beyond use.
I didn't examine it that closely, and I should have. I was pretty PO'd at the time, and figured all I needed was a new tire... and dropped it off at the LBS for a tune-up as well. Got the bad news call today