View Single Post
Old 06-05-08, 02:33 PM
Nigeyy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Positron, I really do see your point of view on this, but I'm not convinced.

-is it the responsibility of a customer to check the chainrings on or before 400 miles or a month to check the chainring bolts on a new bike from a bike store? This is where I differ, I don't think it is (mind you, I don't know how long you should go, maybe 6 months or 1,000 miles, whichever comes first? And how would you check a bike has done that mileage anyway? If not 6 months or 1,000 miles, when should you check? After 5 miles? 2 minutes of riding? Then again, why let the manufacturer and/or LBS put the bike together if you need to check after a minute? But I digress... suffice to say I think there is some limit there somewhere and to me, assuming Ricohman is accurate, did not exceed it).

-is it the responsibility of a manufacturer (regardless of whether they purchase 3rd party components) and bike store to provide a well setup and designed bike with components to a consumer that should remain operable without causing damage within a reasonable time under normal operation? Again, I think I differ; I consider a month of riding and/or 400 miles reasonable time -I say yes, the bike should be in reasonable order with no damage.

-I do think you have a point that Ricohman should have stopped and checked the noise. But what if by the time he heard or noticed the noise it had done the damage already? And we don't know for sure that is the case or not, but we *do* know that the chainring bolt was not secure -something not the fault of Richman. And how do you identify a "bad" noise? Do you stop whenever you hear a noise on a bike? I've had an occasional spoke twang once..... So how do you know when not to? Or when to? Or when is it "surely felt"? And whom should that apply to? Wouldn't that then imply that you need an implicit mechanical knowledge and judgement? And if that's the case, shouldn't the manufacturer only allow the bike to be sold to people who are mechanically aware? I say it would be (probably) unreasonable to expect Ricohman to have stopped immediately given the age of the bike and the (probable) noise the catching was making (a reasonable supposition would have been the chain catching the front der, and then by the time it was realized it was not, would the damage have been done anyway?), let alone with surety being able to prove that doing so would have prevented any of the damage.

Just thoughts.....

Originally Posted by positron
As a full time commuter, former messenger, and general carfree guy I have had too many bike parts fail (because of my negligence), leaving me stranded or without the ability to work. This has taught me to meticulously maintain my bike, not to ignore problem signs, and to carry a full tool kit with me nearly everywhere.

I do not mean to be harsh, but if a chainring bolt is rubbing the metal off of a stay, its not just a noise, it is a mechanical interaction that surely was felt... in the OP's own words: "When I start rotating the crank it needs some serious force to get past a particular point." um, red flag! Stop the bike and repair - it would have taken 20 seconds with an allen wrench, and would have prevented all damage to the frame.

things come loose with time. If one acknowledges this fact and prepares for it, then many headaches will be prevented before they spiral into the situations that ruin your new bike, your tour or a day's work.

I honestly do not intend to be a jerk, and I hope rocky mountain will help you out. I have owned two of their frames, and they are a solid company. But I have issues with any sense of entitlement that you may feel you have, and that is why I spoke up in this post. It is people taking advantage of great return policies, generous companies, and warranty situations that lead to the loss of these great companies' profits and an erosion of consumer securities overall.

well, perhaps you should?

regards,
positron