View Single Post
Old 06-06-08, 03:03 PM
Ken Roberts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
it doesn't look like you've got Bellis/Adamic/Shire in the Riegelsville area. All three are approx. 400 vert. ft. with 15%+ sections.
Thanks, I always like getting new ideas for interesting hills. I've done Bellis once (hoping it was an "easier" way up onto the ridge), but not the other two.

your Google map doesn't seem to have the full route showing
Good point. That's because I don't think of what I was doing as a "route". Rather it's a sequence of hill-climbs. How I go between them isn't important. My report often describes multiple possible transitions from one climb to the next. The distance I give on my report page is just from using the selections of transitions that seem most favorable to me this week. In my personal "time trial" measurements I don't record my time on the transitions between climbs, so the exact route doesn't matter for me.

Western Jersey Wheelmen ride in that area. The Lebanon 64 (available on mapmyride) has 6400' climbing in 64 mi, I believe) is on the schedule for this month.
OK, my calculation is that the way I rode and reported my "Hillier Than Hillier" sequence, it's more than 50% hillier per mile than the Lebanon 64 route. Which is what I'd expect from an organized club ride. I don't think it would be a good idea for a club to try to do this "Hillier Than Hillier" sequence.

And that "50% hillier" just considering simple vertical of any steepness. If looking at climbing sections averaging 12% of more, I wouldn't be surprised if "Hillier Than Hillier" has five times more steep climbing per mile than Lebanon 64 -- but that's because I have odd tastes in riding sometimes.

Ken