gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Newspaperguy
I've heard that if you park your car at the mall and do your shopping there, you'll often walk farther than if you had parked at a central location downtown and gone to the various shops there. The mall designers put numerous angles and corners into their floor plans so shoppers don't think they're going all that far.
One reason for starting this thread is an observation I've had numerous times lately. You can walk from my current office building to a complex of gas station/restaurant/hotels that are across a busy street. I have often seen people take this trip via automobile (it is perhaps 1/10 of a mile). Funny thing is that their automobiles are parked about 2/10 of a mile away. This goes beyond laziness, it speaks to a kind of dislocation that is inflicted on people who drive a lot. They are unable to measure because they don't actually come in contact with what they are measuring. In the same way that I can measure my desk, say, by using my forearm laid against it, so too can I measure a walking distance by actually applying feet to pavement... But many cagers will resort to ridiculous detours that they could easily navigate without a cage!!