stoogeswoman
Stooges Woman

Bikes: Electra Townie, Schwinn Loop. Schwinn Hinge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by froggy2
Hi. I haven't been on a bike in 25 years or so but really want to start (mainly to lose weight). I'm a female - 5'5" - 256 lbs. I am confused by all the bike types and don't know how to start. I live in NYC and will only be riding on pavement and probably not for long distances at first. I am so clueless how to get started and would really appreciate any advice on how to choose the right bike. Also, since I am not sure I can stick to it, I'd rather not spend a grand. Thank you!
Hi, froggy2 - I'm new to these forums and saw your post. I guess we're in the same boat! I'm 5'2" and weigh @ 210 lbs (have lost 15 pounds in the past few months from walking & Weight Watchers).

I'm also just getting back into biking after many years, and it's confusing. Some here have suggested renting a bike; may I also suggest borrowing them? Perhaps your friends or relatives who have bikes would let you try them out. That would be even cheaper than renting.

Also, don't be afraid to get something that's not quite right, because you can at least get on it and ride, and find out what you do and don't like, then later find a bike that matches your needs.

Good luck! I'll be hanging around here too so will enjoy reading what you decide to do!